[AusNOG] Bandwidth in Phillip Island

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu May 3 17:29:11 EST 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:23:49PM +1000, Martin Visser wrote:

 > Probably a long shot (literally) but it only looks to be around 6km across
 > the water to the mainland. If you have line-of-sight, and can find a a
 > friendly patron, you might be able to get a 802.11 type of point-to-point
 > bridge setup for not a lot of money (connecting to land-line based service).

Over-water shots are problematic (microwaves reflect off
ripples on the water, leading to pretty extreme unreliability,
packet loss, etc)

You'll need very tall masts and a lot of output power.

 > Hardware can be had for less than a few hundred dollars at each end.

Probably not for the output power you'd need (I suspect you'd be
into the territory of needing a spectrum license, which makes
the equipment pricier too)

  - mark