[AusNOG] UK ISP's told to block P2P

Jean-Michel RAPIN jmrapin at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:58:29 EST 2012

Even more interesting:

<quote>
*"Founded in 2003, The Pirate Bay has more than five million registered
users and is estimated to offer access to more than four million files."*
</quote>

This statement is very ambiguous. TPB does not host any trackers anymore
(because of copyright), therefore they do not host files directly. They use
instead magnet links. Therefore it is debatable whether they "offer access"
to anything since clicking on a magnet link without a BT client installed
do not give you access to anything....

Also they are looking at some interesting ways to host their website, in
drones flying around so they cannot be raided and shutdown so easily. (I
thought it was a joke when I read the article the first time, haha...)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/isps-ordered-to-block-the-pirate-bay/story-e6frgakx-1226344311225

Anyway, I am counting the points... Look like the TPB is still leading the
game :).
NB: I think Fantasia Land is a very good analogy

Jean-Michel

2012/5/2 Nicholas Meredith <nicholas at udhaonline.net>

> It's even stupider than past cases, as I see it now it's even more
> perplexing; court rulings I read about for British Telecom placed them, BT
> (the ISP), as responsible for wearing all costs of implementing a (likely
> flawed) site blocking solution; all to protect somebody else's copyright.
>  Surely it is the copyright holder's responsibility to enforce their
> rights, not innocent 3rd parties.  Next I suppose we will see TV stations
> and content creators outright billing device manufacturers of Free-to-air
> HDTV receivers, because viewers might have recorded transmissions using
> them?
>
> -ndm
>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:07:22PM +1000, Nicholas Meredith wrote:
>>
>>  > I really don't understand how a directory service can be held
>> responsible
>>  > for the bad actions of one or more of it's listings.  It's just a phone
>>  > book for torrents, both good and bad, what nonsense.
>>
>> It isn't even that anymore.
>>
>> Protocols morph in response to threats.
>>
>> Napster was attacked, which begat Gnutella.
>> Gnutella was attacked, which begat eDonkey.
>> eDonkey was attacked, which begat Kazaa.
>> Kazaa was attacked, which begat BitTorrent.
>>
>> BitTorrent was attacked by DPI, which begat encrypted bittorrent, DHT,
>> BT-over-IPv6, and various other variations to the protocol which are
>> too numerous to mention.
>>
>> Updated BitTorrent was attacked through legal means, which begat
>> BitTorrent "magnets" to eliminate centralized trackers altogether.
>>
>> As of right now, we can all download our own copies of the entire
>> TPB site onto a USB stick and run our own local mirrors.
>>
>> 20th Century Fox, owners of Star Wars, appear to have never
>> heard of, "Strike me down, you will only make me stronger."
>>
>> Disney, owners of Fantasia, appear to have never watched the
>> scene where Mickey Mouse attacks mops with an axe.
>>
>> In aggregate, they've all spent hundreds of millions of dollars to
>> test and strengthen p2p distribution networks, which now have a
>> magnificently effective immune system against the attacks they've
>> had to face.
>>
>> Doesn't sound to me like it's working out very well for them.
>>
>>  - mark

Regards

Jean-Michel Rapin