[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 16 17:48:32 EST 2012

[Geoff]
 > no - it uses 2002:<public IPv4 address>::/48 as the router prefix and
 > performs a RA function for the interior network - don't forget that
its IPv6
 > so there was a conscious effort to avoid address translation!

That's what I was hoping is happening :-)

 > not at all - they get addresses of the form<2002:<ipv4 external
address>::<standard 64 bit interface ID>

That's what I was expecting. I go a bit confused by Marks answer about
having only link local addresses in use on the iPhone...

[Paul]

> Its a /64, and they do what every IP device does - if the network prefix part matches,
> then try to reach the destination address over the local network. If the prefix is
> different, go for the router

And that's where I wasn't too sure about.. I would have suspected that
some OSes might handle the <2002:<ipv4 external address>::/64 prefix in
a different way.. but I guess they're not.

> I'm off for a pint or three :-)

Same here :-)

Mat