[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 16 16:31:46 EST 2012

> A smart CPE vendor would sniff the traffic running through the
> CPE's built-in switch for local DNS, WINS, mDNS, etc and use
> the data contained therein to construct DNS zone data for the
> house's internal network dynamically, so that the end user
> can do a DNS lookup on "mypc" or "TIVO" or "Dishlex-M238D" and
> expect it to work, and have reverse mappings set up too.
>
> Not sure if any CPE actually does that, but it seems to me that
> it's the right answer.

I really don't think anyone is doing that. I've been chatting with
somebody from Apple and somebody from ISC about having mDNS interfacing
with DNS (BIND), and both were very keen on seeing that happen.
If some vendors did it in their proprietary code with their proprietary
DNS servers, good on them :-).

> In a suitably authenticated world,
> an ISP could even delegate customer-specific zones to the
> DNS server in the CPE...

I would certainly love to have that :-)

> That's kinda the only way I can see IPv6 reverse mappings ever
> working properly in a dynamic SLAAC-configured world, in any
> case.

I agree on that. That's what I was trying to achieve here at CAIA, but
never got the dnsextd to work which should do the mDNS to DNS
translation, nor had the time to implement a counterpart in Avahi.
BIND doesn't need to be changed, as it would be the same mechanism as
secure updates via DHCP.

Maybe somebody has done something in the meantime (my info is from
December last year).

Mat