[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Mar 16 14:23:05 EST 2012

On 16/03/2012 1:59 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 01:55:20PM +1100, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>  > Which means the HE figures are conservative, and there are likely to
>  > be a whole pile more people using mechanisms like 6to4 above and
>  > beyond the real tunnel figures.
>
> Yeah, but a counterpoint is that 6to4 often doesn't work.
>
> Check Geoff's presso at APNIC31 for the lowdown.

Yeah, but a counterpoint is that 6to4 works better than nothing at all, which is what
most users have while their providers have native IPv6 disabled - plus as native IPv6
is progressively enabled the use of 6to4 progressively reduces to nothing
automatically. I'll take 'often doesn't work - but seems to work good enough for me'
in the interim over 'guaranteed fail' every day.

Paul.