[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Mar 16 11:55:19 EST 2012

On 16/03/2012 10:33 AM, Smith, Mark wrote:
> Ok, well call me surprised. I wouldn't have thought there'd have been more than 1300 people in Australia willing to go to the effort of setting up a configured IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel.

What effort? - for me, the box did it when it was powered on (well, after I updated
the firmware). I suspect there is an awful lot of automagically-established tunnels
and auto-configged interfaces and traffic where little or no manual config had to
happen, and a lot more frustrated traffic sitting behind non-porous barriers just
waiting for the barriers to be melted away.

Also, some of those tunnels are undoubtedly supporting larger groups than one person -
entire offices, and possibly entire ISPs as a sucky-but-better-than-nothing test link
until their upstream extracts the digit.

P.