[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 15 12:40:49 EST 2012

In message <CACnPsNW9GAtEcQP_S_4vK0DGH9p8x_J8BMyhS0Mwi6LtPE+CcA at mail.gmail.com>
, Scott Howard writes:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Darren Moss <Darren.Moss at em3.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Why is this change not handled like analogue to digital radio ?
> >

> Presuming you mean TV and not radio, then from a US perspective are you
> suggesting that :
> * The government should subsidies everyone $50 to buy a new modem/router/etc
> * The government should force people to stop using IPv4 after a fixed
> period of changeover
>
> Those are the only two reasons that the US analogue to digital changeover
> was even close to successful, and that's in a country where a minority of
> people actually have over-the-air terrestrial TV (as opposed to
> cable/satellite).
>
> Scaling that to the entire planet?  Not going to happen...
>
>   Scott.

Analog to digital TV conversion is taking place here.  The analog
signal has already been turn off in many parts of the country.  I've
got friends in the middle of nowhere and instead of getting a fuzzy
analog signal they often get no digital signal that's despite living
on the highest point for miles around and having the antena at the
top of a tower.   The broadcast towers are, literally, over the
horizon.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC