[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 15 11:12:01 EST 2012

In message <41F6C547EA49EC46B4EE1EB2BC2F34184ABD177541 at EXVPMBX100-1.exc.icann.o
rg>, Leo Vegoda writes:
> Mark Delany wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Really? In which decade do you think that facebook.com, yahoo.com,
> > twitter.com and google.com will stop returning an A RR? And what is
> > their incentive for doing so?
> >
> > You need to explain why a business would voluntarily stop listening to
> > IPv4 traffic and why ISPs would stop carrying it.
>
> I can't tell you the decade but I would have thought the decision for a comme
> rcial organisation would be relatively simple. If it costs more money to main
> tain an IPv4 service than is made by its presence then commercial organisatio
> ns would be motivated to remove the IPv4 service. After all, they're in busin
> ess to make profits.

This will be very much like removing A records when you have a MX
record when the A record is only there for SMTP.  For years people
put A records into the DNS so that old (not MX aware) MTA could
reach a site.  At some point you say I don't think we need this A
record anymore so you remove it and wait for complaints.

Similarly you bring a new service and just give a MX (AAAA) record
and see what happens.  After a while you just don't configure legacy
support as you know it is no longer a issue you need to deal with.

Site with really old IPv4 only clients will install hacks if they
want those machines to connect to IPv6 only services or they will
live with not being able to reach those services.  Remember most
machines installed in the last 10 years are IPv6 capable, you only
need to turn on IPv6 for them to use it.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org