[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Mar 15 09:45:25 EST 2012

Mark Delany wrote:

[...]

> Really? In which decade do you think that facebook.com, yahoo.com,
> twitter.com and google.com will stop returning an A RR? And what is
> their incentive for doing so?
>
> You need to explain why a business would voluntarily stop listening to
> IPv4 traffic and why ISPs would stop carrying it.

I can't tell you the decade but I would have thought the decision for a commercial organisation would be relatively simple. If it costs more money to maintain an IPv4 service than is made by its presence then commercial organisations would be motivated to remove the IPv4 service. After all, they're in business to make profits.

Leo