[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mattia Rossi mrossi at swin.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 11:02:14 EST 2012

On 14/03/2012 10:28, Mark Newton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:25:05AM +1000, Nicholas Meredith wrote:
>
>   >  Does that Netcomm and other gear in that same leage actually support v6
>   >  properly?
>
> Yes.
>
>   >  Does it run a v6 DNS masquerade?
>
> Yes.
>
>   >  Will RA correctly assign v6 DNS to hosts?
>
> Well, no -- RA doesn't assign DNS.

I guess Nicholas was referring to RDNSS
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6106). Which is supported by MacOSX since
Lion, Linux and FreeBSD.

You'd need DHCP to be able to get DNS to a Windows box anyway though, so
it doesn't really matter whether it's supported or not.

Current best practice is to have SLAAC for addressing and routing
(default route) and DHCP for the rest (DNS, SIP, etc.).

DHCP only won't work either, as there's no option for a default route in
DHCPv6 yet, so you can get an address, but no way out to the Internet..
Currently discussed in the IETF, we'll see some resolution on that
hopefully after the Paris meeting.

But back to the topic:

I have a Billion 7401VGP-M, and there's no firmware upgrade at all which
would provide IPv6 support. So I'll have to deploy an additional device
behind the Billion to get IPv6 eventually (if iiNet decides to extend
the trials further than to their Bob devices at some point) and put the
Billion in bridging mode (reducing it to an ADSL modem in fact).
Not a real problem for me though. There's plenty of devices to chose from.
TP-Links cost pretty much nothing, and most of them support IPv6. All
the ones without ADSL modem, can be upgraded to OpenWRT or DD-WRT - heck
you can even run FreeBSD on them:
http://adrianchadd.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/freebsd-on-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd.html

The only drawback many (if not all) of those devics is, that they don't
have RA-guard (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6105) in them. So if your
silly friend comes to your house with his old WinXP box sending out RA's
which are based on his Teredo prefix, he'll screw up your IPv6 network
quite quickly. this is based on real observation of the wireless network
here at Swinburne. Plenty of that stuff happening.

Mat