[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Mar 14 10:28:27 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:25:05AM +1000, Nicholas Meredith wrote:

 > Does that Netcomm and other gear in that same leage actually support v6
 > properly?

Yes.

 > Does it run a v6 DNS masquerade?

Yes.

 > Will RA correctly assign v6 DNS to hosts?

Well, no -- RA doesn't assign DNS.

 > Is DHCP6 supported?

Yes.

 > Simply routing v6 isn't enough, they need to
 > be able to operate 100% v6 only, and I'd be surprised if it does that.

Yeah it does.  You don't want to run them like that because the
v6 internet is presently as useless as a chocolate teapot, but if
you want to run them like that you can.

It ain't 2005 anymore, son.

 > Billions and a few others maybe, anyone got more accurate details on
 > excactly what is still incomplete with CPE for home/soho users?

The AVM FritzBox is pretty good for SOHO.  Everything you'd ever
want in one box.  The high-end version counts as pretty good NBN CPE
too.

  - mark