[AusNOG] Fibre Based Internet

Jean-Michel RAPIN jmrapin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:45:15 EST 2012

On the same topic, we are looking into switching from our current fibre
provider (very expensive) to TPG fibre (much... much cheaper, about 90%). I
know they have recently acquired Pipe Networks.
According to their brochure they have many important clients and also
provide SLA, included in the price. So, feature-wise, they are very similar
to our current provider ( or better spec'd in some instances).

Has anyone had any experience with TPG fibre. If yes, please share.

Offline replies are welcome. Thanks.

Jean-Michel Rapin

2012/3/12 Christopher Pollock <chris at ionetworks.com.au>

> I suppose the other thing that goes without saying is that what you really
> need in the event of a fault is to be prepared.  Make sure you have a plan
> of action, and can carry it out.  You need:
>
> - Your account number / service ID
> - Contact #s of appropriate first/second point of contact, as well as any
> techs you've dealt with
> - To make sure your carrier has an up-to-date list of contact people from
> your organisation
> - To have the tools on-hand to provide as much information about the fault
> as possible
>
> And the big one:
> - To make sure that all of this is available while you're offline
>
> --
> Christopher Pollock,
> io Networks Pty Ltd.
> e. chris at ionetworks.com.au
>
> p. 1300 1 2 4 8 16
> d. 07 3188 7588
> m. 0410 747 765
> skype: christopherpollock
> http://www.ionetworks.com.au
> In-house, Outsourced.
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Don Gould <don at bowenvale.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> ^^^ what they said...
>>
>> ...following this list for near on a decade, the only thing that sticks
>> out is:
>>
>> * SLA aren't worth the paper they're printed on...
>> * Understand your service paths properly - having two providers that have
>> the same points of failure and same path is a pointless expense
>> * Get services from at least two providers and actually test your fail
>> over...
>>
>> Name me a carrier/provider and I'm sure I can find a fault notice in the
>> AUNog archive.

>> On 12/03/2012 3:04 p.m., Christopher Pollock wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, he's right.   You're much better off researching the
>>> providers involved, discussing their fault response procedures, and
>>> asking other people about their service experiences.  Which I suppose
>>> you are doing right now!
>>>
>>> If you're going to make any sort of decent spend, you're justified in
>>> taking some time to get your AM to discuss fault response with you.  The
>>> SLA numbers are meaningless but perhaps you can get some useful
>>> information out of them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christopher Pollock,
>>> io Networks Pty Ltd.
>>> e. chris at ionetworks.com.au <mailto:chris at ionetworks.com.**au<chris at ionetworks.com.au>
>>> >

>>> p. 1300 1 2 4 8 16
>>> d. 07 3188 7588
>>> m. 0410 747 765
>>> skype: christopherpollock
>>> http://www.ionetworks.com.au
>>> In-house, Outsourced.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Skeeve Stevens
>>> <skeeve+ausnog at eintellego.net <mailto:skeeve%2Bausnog@**eintellego.net<skeeve%252Bausnog at eintellego.net>
>>> >>

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    It would be my opinion that SLA's for consumers are nothing but
>>>    marketing documents.
>>>
>>>    "So what if your service was down for 5 hours, here is $3.50"
>>>
>>>    *Skeeve Stevens, CEO*
>>>
>>>    eintellego Pty Ltd
>>>    skeeve at eintellego.net <mailto:skeeve at eintellego.net> ;
>>>    www.eintellego.net <http://www.eintellego.net>
>>>

>>>    Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954
>>>    <tel:%28%2B612%29%208572%**209954>
>>>
>>>    Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 <tel:%2B61%20%280%29414%20753%**20383> ;
>>>    skype://skeeve
>>>
>>>    facebook.com/eintellego <http://facebook.com/**eintellego<http://facebook.com/eintellego>
>>> >

>>>    twitter.com/networkceoau <http://twitter.com/**networkceoau<http://twitter.com/networkceoau>>
>>> ;
>>>    www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve <http://www.linkedin.com/in/**skeeve<http://www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve>
>>> >

>>>    PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia
>>>

>>>    The Experts Who The Experts Call
>>>    Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM
>>>

>>>    On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 07:42, Greg Cockburn <gergnz at gmail.com
>>>    <mailto:gergnz at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>        Hi all,
>>>
>>>        I'm not a serious network guy, but a Sysadmin, looking for a for
>>>        a little advice on fibre based internet.
>>>
>>>        We are looking at installing fibre based internet into our new
>>>        premises.  The site we are moving to is just outside the Sydney
>>>        CBD, and I have seen in the MDF that Telstra and Optus have
>>>        fibre runs into the premises.
>>>
>>>        Are there any vendors that stand out both in price and SLA
>>>        compared to others?
>>>
>>>        What gotchas should I be aware of?
>>>
>>>        Also would like to know, what technology the carriers use into
>>>        the premises, e.g. a pair for each consumer, or do they use some
>>>        sort of MUX technology?
>>>
>>>        TIA,
>>>        Greg.

>> --