[AusNOG] [off-topic] Computer off, save power...simple stuff.

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Sun Mar 11 01:37:48 EST 2012

What kind of OS bloat (or horribly populated msconfig->startup) could cause
machines of that spec to take so long?  My old core2 on win7U is boots from
power button to usable in under two minutes, and it's got every post check
in the world turned on.  Glad I'm not responsible for _that_ SOE.

Seriously though, this happens.  I read an article by a guy who got reamed
for not being functional until 9:20am because his ancient computer was so
slow.  Management refused to pay for upgrades, and demanded instead that
staff turn up 20 minutes earlier in order to be 'ready to work' at 9am. So
people logged OT, which they subsequently denied.  IIRC a fair few people
quit after that..

--
Christopher Pollock,
io Networks Pty Ltd.