[AusNOG] Solar flare

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu Mar 8 22:47:56 EST 2012

On 03/08/2012 04:03 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:
> Well that's for that...........that part IS obvious!
>
> What side? What continent? Granted there is a global effect, but what where
> is it localised?
>
> Long since have the days been flat where the entire face of the earth points
> to the sun/is flat.
>

> -DB
The problem isn't the "impact" of the CME, that mainly makes pretty
lights at the poles, its the CME pushing the earths magnetic field around.
Because it wraps the whole way around the planet, interesting things can
happen on the back side even after the main event seems to be over on
the side facing the sun.

But generally speaking the closer you are to the poles the stronger the
effect.
Also the longer the conductors your dealing with the stronger the effect.

I think mostly we have been very lucky in the past 20 years, the sun has
been unusually quiet, particularly the past 10 and the few big ones that
the sun has made have missed us.

Now if we have fiber to the home at least when the global technological
apocalypse happens we'll all have internet (until the batteries run out) ;->