[AusNOG] 100G/200G/400G coming down the pipe (so to speak)

Darren Ward (darrward) darrward at cisco.com
Thu Mar 8 11:27:20 EST 2012

Using 2 or 4 waves for 100G is a very very bad way to do it and is only looked at by vendors who don't have a real 100G transmission solution so they just convert the short haul multilane 'lanes' into separate channels for transmission

100G MH/LH/ULH DWDM is single 50GHz lambda which is the efficiency difference, one optic, one channel vs 10x10G waves and 10x10G optics which is the cost benefit Matthew mentions

I hate mentioning anything vendor on this list and so will keep it to technology specifically so a couple of vendors use coherent optics in a way called CP-PMQDSPK for example to run a single channel 100G 50GHz wavelength.

Still cheaper than 10x10G despite adding the coherent DSP...

Darren