[AusNOG] Getting some short MMF runs

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Fri Mar 2 12:31:22 EST 2012

Graeme,
  There are a number of factors involved here. Do you own both network
segments at both ends. That is to say is it your business to your
business or is it your business to customer. If it's your business to
customer then you may require a carrier license. If it's just connecting
say your sales branch to the warehouse then that's ok however there are
a number of factors you will need to consider.

Who's ducts will you use. If you use Telstra's or some other carriers
they will charge you for usage in an ongoing basis.
Will you dig your own duct. You can do that but without a carrier
license you will need to negotiate local government approval. This can
be done but may take some serious time/effort.  These guys
http://luminet.com.au/ may be able to help.

Have you considered some sort of short range microwave hop. It's likely
to be a lot easier and the bert's of modern P2P microwave as in line
with fiber. As long of as you have line of sight of cause.

Matt.