[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Eric Pinkerton Eric.Pinkerton at stratsec.net
Tue Jun 26 15:43:51 EST 2012

So,

If you go to http://www.netsweeper.com/support/test-a-site and pop in your server page you get a familiar looking log on your site..

50.57.190.90 - - [26/Jun/2012:05:13:52 +0000] "GET /pants HTTP/1.0" 404 524 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0"

So it seems that Netsweeper are categorising previously unseen sites, in order to bolster their existing database, ready for when Telstra deploy the ambitiously titled 'Smart Controls'.

I'm still not keen on the idea, and given that Netsweepers website boasts "Potential revenue opportunities through monetization programs" for Telco's I'm unconvinced that this differs from common garden data pimping.

Tin foil hat's off, and a nice biscuit for everyone involved*

*Only half a biscuit for  SC Magazine, who published the first statement without question, and the second without a tech review.   "they directed their Telstra devices to the telco's web servers and noticed it was also visited split seconds after by a Chicago IP address"  (shudder)

*Obviously no biscuits for Telstra execs - internal comms, PR, Media management fails to meet expectations.

All that remains for this thread is for me to make a comparison with the Nazi Party.