[AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

Shaun Ewing shaun at shaun.net
Tue Jun 26 12:11:57 EST 2012

On 25/06/2012, at 4:50 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

> Getting a diverse pair of VPSs from different service providers
> ain't rocket science, and certainly isn't expensive.

Agreed.

I previously used external DNS hosting services but with about 50 zones the cost was adding up.

I already had an IPv6 enabled server in Australia, so I purchased two additional IPv6 enabled VPSs - one in San Jose, another in London. I setup a DNS cluster and added a control panel to it as well. If you add a zone or record, it's automatically synchronised across all three locations within a few seconds.

That was over a year ago now. It now handles all of my domains and others for some people that I know. It's peaked at 1,800 queries per second and handles about 40m queries per month :)

With the flexibility that it provides at the minimal cost point I can't see myself going back to off the shelf services.

Of course you still need the skills (and time/inclination) to setup and maintain an environment to begin with. If you don't, then external services still most certainly have their place.

-Shaun