[AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 26 12:00:46 EST 2012

In message <20120626012933.21696.qmail at f5-external.bushwire.net>, "Mark Delany"
 writes:
> On 26Jun12, Mark Andrews allegedly wrote:
>
> > > To be fair, pretty much every part of the infrastructure has been
>
> > Which just isn't true.  Recursive servers have pretty handled unknown
> > types from day dot.
>
> I don't want to be-labour an obvious point. But you're talking about
> the code on your download servers or stuff deployed in the core. I'm
> talking about the reality out to the edge where the traffic is
> actually consumed and generated by crufty corps and govt. departments
> still running Exchange 2000 on NT servers, along with smallbiz happily
> using a multitude of 3rd party apps and libraries written by
> long-defunct s/w vendors.

I'm talking about stuff that has been shipping in OS releases for
a decade now in terms of servers and multiple decades in terms of
libraries.

> As others have said, ipv6 deployment is the poster child of how the
> edge and core are two completely different beasts and may well be
> getting differenterer by the day.

Actually the edge has supported IPv6 for well over a decade now.
The core has as well.  The place where it hasn't been supported is
the SOHO routers.  Everything else has been waiting on those guys
to get their act together.

Your crufty old XP boxes will talk IPv6.  I've got equipment that
supports IPv6 that is no longer supported by the manufacturer.