[AusNOG] IPv6 DNS Providers in Australia

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Mon Jun 25 16:24:52 EST 2012

Hi Mark

 >RFC 3597 was written nearly a decade ago now. There really is no
excuse for any provider not accepting any type of DNS record.
 >This we only support types A, B, C and D does no one any favours and
just makes it harder to deploy anything new.

Fully agree on both points.

Often the culprit is not the DNS software supporting the RFC but the
control panel software being used by providers to support novice users
at budget (often free) pricing.

Professional users should have access to more sophisticated and direct
control of their DNS zone file records and not be limited by the
constraints imposed by attempts to support the casual non-professional
user.

Often the cost of the free services is the constrained feature set which
has been limited to those functions sufficient to satisfy the vast bulk
of price sensitive novice users.

"Full functionality" and "free" is a difficult combination to find and
even more difficult to commercially support.

Regards

Kevin

[e]kjk at pps.com.au
[p] +61 2 9281 3905