[AusNOG] Does anyone know - iPad gurus?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 25 14:03:02 EST 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Wade Roberts wrote:

> I think they use the "Apple Configurator" to lock them down:
> http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12
>
> iOS 6 will also add similar capabilities, it was outlined in the WWDC 2012 keynote.

It's not currently possible with iOS 5 (although the ones in the Apple
store must have a special build). It is an advertised iOS 6 feature,
although it's not working on our iOS 6 beta device.

As for how Jetstar do it:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/inside-jetstar-s-ipad-app-and-long-life-battery-case-hardware

---
In the interest of making the system as user-friendly as possible, Stellar
went as far as it could within Apple-approved limits.

"We wanted to avoid passengers getting into the settings application
because they could then turn on things like wifi and bluetooth," Reilly
explains. "There's regulatory issues there we have to comply with in terms
of interference with navigation systems and other safety aspects."

However, as Reilly notes, "as part of their enterprise licencing
agreement, Apple does't allow you to delete the native applications on the
iPad, such as the settings and contacts application. You could only remove
those through a jailbreak, and of course a jailbreak is not a solution for
an enterprise environment and was never considered."

"The only way around that was to dump those apps into a folder and cover
the home button so passengers couldn't get to them", he says, which is why
the special iPad 2 case used by Jetstar covers the iPad's home button (and
also the standard Apple 30-pin connector).
----

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |