[AusNOG] Telstra's Texan Teaser - Tin Foil Stetsun anyone?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Jun 25 11:58:20 EST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Brad Gould <brad.gould at gmail.com> wrote:

> How is this not "tracking" - a third party is not only receiving a copy of
> your mobile URL's requested - they are using that info and then requesting
> the same page.

"Tracking" in any real sense of the word would require them to also be
receiving some details of the end user (at a minimum, IP address), which at
this stage there's no way to say if they are or are not.  They could simply
be getting a feed of all URLs visited, with no details of anything like
IP/user/user-agent/etc.  The fact that query strings (ie, the part of the
URL after ?) doesn't seem to be being used means that it's being stripped
somewhere - so even that might not be making it off the Telstra network.

The browsing habits of Telstra's entire mobile network would be rather
> valuable information for advertisers I'd think, especially if you could
> cross-reference that to the data they eyeball (i.e. analyze the visited
> webpages).

The interesting part here is that it's happening real-time.  If this was
simply only for tracking/advertising/etc I don't know that it would be
being done real-time.

  Scott