[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 18:10:27 EST 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Roland Chan <roland at chan.id.au> wrote:
> The problem with that approach is the potential for a customer to be
> permanently stuck in quarantine because they lack the knowledge to clean
> their computer.
>
> I don't think that is an acceptable outcome, at least not while they're
> paying for service.

And in this era you have people now completely reliant on the internet
for access to banking, centrelink and their emergency telephone
services.

This isn't an acceptable outcome for users at all.

We have to have an overall quality improvement approach to user side,
services side and hardware.

The only case I can see it being remotely acceptable is where the user
was was propagating a mightily virulent strain of the online ebola
equivalent. Rabid stuxnet anyone?

The fact is, however, that even the malware writers now see the latter
as being counterproductive.

--

Narelle Clark
president at isoc-au.org.au