[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Mon Jun 18 10:31:55 EST 2012

DNS should not be an ISP problem.

It seems to me that if the problem is killed off at the source (ie Domain
registration and Nameservers), then a large proportion of the problem goes
away.
As many sources of infection are websites specifically built to infect PCs,
who does have responsibility for policing the registrars? ICANN?

If so, pressure should be increased to have at least one infection vector
better controlled. There can be increasing penalties leading to eventually
withdrawal of accreditation used against registrars if they continue to
allow fraudulent domain name registrations and fail to act when notified of
'bad' websites. I imagine It wouldn't take too long once a few registrars
were put out of business for the others to clean up their act and reduce the
problem to more manageable levels.

What I don't know is how we can increase pressure on ICANN to clean up the
DNS system they have allowed to get out of control. Me saying something to
them is not likely to work :(   Does anyone know of any practical way this
can be achieved?

Rod