[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Jun 17 16:59:01 EST 2012

On 17/06/2012 3:39 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> If you have a un-roadworth car you get it fixed before you go back on
> the road. As the owner of the car it is your responsability to get it
> fixed either by doing the repairs yourself or paying someone to do it
> for you. It is a implicit part of owning a car. The same should apply
> to compromised machines. You do the work yourself or you pay someone
> to do it for you. Can you tell me anyone who buys a machine these days
> that is not aware that machines get compromised? About the only thing
> that may not be aware of is that they should be fixing their machines
> when they get compromised and yes that may be a additional cost. Mark

The problem with your analogy there, is that for a decent proportion of
folk, if their car breaks down, they'll simply go 'well, I can't afford
to fix it, we'll cancel the rego and let it sit..'.  If ISP's are going
to force users to get their computer 'fixed', or not have access to the
internet, then they'll need to be willing to let the user out of
whatever contract their in, with no break fee, if they cannot afford to
fix said computer..  Otherwise I can just see them lining up at the
TIO's doorstep for 'non-provision of services' or the like..

--
Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust