[AusNOG] TX/RX Conventions

Andrew Warburton andrew.warburton at aapt.com.au
Wed Jun 13 15:00:17 EST 2012

Hey guys,
No need to get too complicated, this is just Layer 1 ie. Physical layer, no
rocket science required.

Andrew

On 13 June 2012 13:45, <john at netniche.com.au> wrote:

> On 13.06.2012 07:21, Tom Sykes wrote:
>
>  I'm interested to understand which conventions/standards (if any) are
>> being used by operators to identify the TX/RX in fibre patching
>> panels/trays - in environments like a meet me room or datacentre.
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm not aware of any convention other than the "flip it if it doesn't work
> and curse shutdown-by-default policies".
>
> Cisco appear to place TX on the "left" of the optics (first port). The LC
> connector specification chickens out from making a distinction, and the
> SFP/SFP+ specifications also don't make a commitment (they allow for copper
> and single-fibre, after all).
>
> From a purely logical point of view, TX should be on the "first" port of a
> group. This is because it's difficult to test for the absence of a signal,
> so if only 1 of two ports has a signal on it that should ideally be the
> first one you try.
>
> Otherwise, you're condemning engineers everywhere to a sequence of try
> port 1, nope, try port 2 - that's a 30 second gain in productivity for the
> industry each time they plug in a patch lead :)
>
> John

*Andrew Warburton*
Business Development Manager | Wholesale

AAPT Limited, 180 - 188 Burnley St Richmond, VIC 3121
*P +61 3 *8308 3838 | *M **+61 426 779 333*
*
*

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you should not read it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not
copy or use any part of this communication or disclose anything about it.