[AusNOG] opensource netflow recommendations

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Tue Jun 12 15:23:18 EST 2012

Have a look at Observium

http://www.observium.org/wiki/Main_Page

I haven't  configured it for my routing yet, but, it pulls SNMP info for hosts together with SNMP info for switches

It's soooo low config, once its running, which is fairly straightforward, you just run a few commands for each host, and Observium auto-discovers, AND keeps up to date, on all mib indexes that it thinks it should be watching.

It's really good for alerting you on switch ports that go down, or are unaccessible.

It monitors BGP Sessions and session state and neighbor availability.

And, I'm imagining, the flow information that it will provide will be nothing less than exceptional.

If you're not already using it, and if it's not exactly what you're after, you'll still wonder how you ever lived without it.

It's not the be-all and end-all, but its definitely where my eyeballs go first to see whats happening.