[AusNOG] (Semi/Somewhat/Paritially)-automated network configuration management

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Fri Jul 27 14:32:37 EST 2012

On 27/07/12 12:32, Christopher Pollock wrote:
> I suppose the short answer is that this is a fairly bespoke
> requirement.  I can't think of a time I've ever thought to try to do this.

Hi Chris,

Really?  I can understand it being fairly unimportant in the service
provider world, but would have thought it's what every enterprise,
campus, or data centre network engineer would want to know (in many
cases, would /have/ to know) about his or her network.

Perhaps i muddied the waters by talking about producing a script to
perform the VLAN manipulations.  If the data were provided in an
appropriate form, producing a script would be a trivial exercise, so
let's assume that i don't care about that for the moment.

Is there possibly a better place to ask - a list more
enterprise/campus-oriented?  I find it really hard to believe that no
one else wants to know this.

Regards,
Paul

P.S. Looking forward to talking more about this in person next week... :-)