[AusNOG] Anonymous Threatens to Expose Data from an Australian ISP

thelionroars thelionroars1337 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:26:35 EST 2012

I remember reading quite a detailed breakdown of the HBGary breach on Ars
Technica. Yes 'they' are resourceful, and really anyone can be operating as
them or using their activities as cover for their own. What I really
despise about Anonymous though is the way they will slap a cause on, when
it's clear that undertaking the criminal activity itself is the primary
motivation. At best their 'causes' seem to be jumping off points for who to
try next and some of their resultant attacks seem to be pretty far down the
chain. The link between a draconian law being considered at the Federal
level and a Queensland Tourism website is pretty tenuous, you would have to
agree. It brings to mind the maxim that you don't have to have the best
security, it just has to be better than the next target... I wish you luck
in your determination of whether Anonymous is targeting you next based on
one of their 'causes', because clearly you are going to need it.

If there is a leak of customer data from an ISP, it is going to be the same
sloppy security measures of the likes of HBGary that are to blame.

PS Don't get me started on the cut'n'paste movie references. An attempt at
irony I suppose.

On 25 July 2012 11:32, Damian Guppy <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are unsure of what Anon has done in the past do some research on
> the HBGary breach by anon, and the Stratfor breach. Both are security
> companies that work closely with groups like the FBI etc.
>
> --Damian
>

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Christopher Cowling <
> chris at faktortel.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I agree, with the success rate of lulzsec and the fact that they have
>> broken into so many websites / services / servers and so forth they are
>> quite formidable. I think anyone would be questioning their own security if
>> it was tried by these gentlemen. I have yet too see a news article entitled
>> "Company or Govt successfully avoids lulzsec attack due too astounding
>> security procedures" and honestly I don't expect too see it.
>>
>> Chris.
>> FaktorTel.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Christopher Pollock <
>> chris at ionetworks.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> While the temptation to derisively refer to the legion as script
>>> kiddies, that really only applies to  the LOIC.  I would be hesitant to get
>>> any of my critical infrastructure in the crosshairs of Lulzsec.  Any idiot
>>> with enough tails can generate DDOS traffic, but with their success rate of
>>> bringing paedophiles / animal abusers to justice and penetrating targets ..
>>> I have more faith in their abilities than a lot of US Govt law enforcement.
>>>
>>> Brad really summed it up IMO.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Christopher Pollock,