[AusNOG] IPv6 is hard.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Fri Jul 20 19:33:40 EST 2012

On 20/07/2012 4:10 p.m., Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Yay. Love the give up attitude. Can't make it perfect so won't try.
> It's a process, a journey, and adventure, live it, don't sulk.

pffft.... read my post about Linux a decade ago when I was full on in
the MS camp and confused about what eth0 meant and where you configure
your IP address.  Today the linux boxes out number the windows ones and
I use FLOSS all the time and put out the odd patch file.

I spent a decade following different MS technologies and it's interested
me for years about how they release a 'flash new way of doing something
that we all need to get on' and then 5 years later it's just gone.

But I think you just missed the focus of what I was saying...  I'm busy
out there building stuff at the edge to get more 1's and 0's places,
like everyone else on this list, and I have to pick the battles and
where to focus.

Right now it seems to me that to remain competitive the focus has to be
on getting more 1's delivered at a lower cost because that's the focus
for many of our competitors around the world and for us in New Zealand
we're a really long way from many markets, including Australia, when
compared to other countries.

It just seems to me that 'fast and cheap' just doesn't include v6 currently.

> Single stack is a long way off.

We've got a single stack now - v4

It's dual stacking that really seems a long way off.

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave
Mairehau
Christchurch, New Zealand