[AusNOG] IPv6 is hard.

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Fri Jul 20 09:48:38 EST 2012

Hi Don

 >So much new kit I've looked at recently that doesn't have even a hint
of v6 in it, I'm just not bothering.

Are you sure?

I bought a Samsung colour laser wireless printer last month for home
(for $135!) and it came fully kitted out for v6 out of the box. The web
admin interface supports v4 and v6 settings equally.

SLAAC kicked in straight away and it's actually easier to print to it
from my laptop upstairs via v6 than it is via v4 because all of the v4
silliness of my ancient WAP router doesn't get in the way.

I'm sure that that there's lots of kit that still doesn't support v6.
Where we've found that to be the case, we've gently told the vendor
"Thanks, but no thanks" and implemented alternatives.

OpenBSD running on vanilla kit provides beautiful v6 support for any
network protocol worth mentioning and is a great no-name alternative to
proprietary solutions from intransigent vendors.

Regards

KJK

[e] kjk at pps.com.au
[p] +61 2 9281 3905