[AusNOG] IPv6 is hard.

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jul 20 08:33:47 EST 2012

In message <500824C4.5030307 at layer10.com.au>, Paul Brooks writes:
> On 19/07/2012 8:46 PM, Don Gould wrote:
> >

> > So much new kit I've looked at recently that doesn't have even a hint of v6
>  in it,
> > I'm just not bothering.

> The holes are gradually being filled for CPE...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_routers
>
> For the consumer market there seems to be lots of IPv6-enabled DrayTek and Bi
> llion
> routers around these days, some with both ADSL and Ethernet WAN ports so they
>  can be
> moved from ADSL to HFC/NBN without needing to be replaced.

All the home CPE router vendors are starting to ship IPv6 capable
equipement.  It may be years later than they should have but it is
happening now.  ISPs no longe have the excuse that there isn't IPv6
capable CPE equipment available.

> It will be decades before most of the IPv4 peripherals like laser printers ar
> e retired however.

Which is not a issue usually as as you can run dual stack internally.