[AusNOG] 3G Broadband OOB network suggestions

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Jan 20 22:45:14 EST 2012

Ive used opengear ACM5000's for a previous project, and they work quite
well. 5004-G specifically.

http://opengear.com/product-acm5000.html

A tad on the pricey side is probably their only downside.

Includes a bracket which can be used to install in a rack (2/3 of a rack
unit) or attach to a wall, and an external antenna connector so you can
attach a higher gain external antenna for areas with patchy or weak
coverage (all of my installations were cabinets in rural locations, so very
important.)

You can use an IP reachability rule to determine whether it should route
packets over the LAN interface or 3G interface. I had mine setup to monitor
reachability to a particular core router IP, on the basis that if that
became unreachable, theres a failure preventing access to it over the LAN,
so it should route out over the WAN, so you then SSH to its WAN IP (helps
if you have a static) and youre in. IIRC it has a dyndns client, but you'd
want to double check that.

Worth a look IMO. Neat little boxes.

Tom