[AusNOG] International link issue

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Feb 24 11:26:24 EST 2012

Maybe I expect too much, but...

I wish the news would report more along the lines of what Aaron said,
instead of saying that Telstras international link "stopped processing
requests." Maybe not quite as technically detailed, but at least an
accurate account.

Regarding a *hardware* failure on a *Cisco* border router somehow causing
the breakage... How does a *hardware* failure somehow cause this (unless it
just happens to be a perfect storm of configuration corruption), and for
what purpose does dropping a vendor name achieve anything? Do vendors
really sit back and let the reputation of their gear be tarnished by some
epically fail disaster PR?

Is it really necessary to dumb it down to the lowest conceivable level? To
me it just seems that if journos report this kind of stuff, the general
public then thinks thats what *actually* happened (some
probably literally), and you havent really informed anyone or made anyone
any wiser or smarter.

I guess it really is just easier to blame it on some gremlins than to admit
some people cocked up (big time) and there is actually someone to blame,
and I do expect too much. :-)