[AusNOG] Bogon Filtering

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:38:52 EST 2012

There's still people advertising IP ranges that should never appear in ye olde Global Routing Table =)

http://www.cymru.com/BGP/bogons.html

IMHO - It's best to keep them, as long as you keep your lists up-to-date. However, If a provider simply cannot be bothered (i.e. doesn't watch the announce lists),  then sure, they can accept 0.0.0.0/0 orlonger; but they do so at their own peril. It's a matter of maintaining what they think are "best practices."

- CK.

P.S. We also check all the source IPs leaving outbound at our eBGP border; to ensure they're not spoofed too. Imagine if everyone did that =)