[AusNOG] ubiquitous peering

Tom Sykes tomsykes at nbnco.com.au
Thu Dec 20 09:33:12 EST 2012

Michael,

I think you need to separate the ability to serve content locally (i.e. on a POI by POI basis) versus being able to host vast quantities of content delivery equipment in the sites.

The very nature of the distributed POIs (i.e. 121 locations) means you can interconnect at a "local" level and serve content to a specific group of people, rather than necessarily long-lining everything back to a central place. There are a few considerations, though, such as the point at which traffic volumes justify that level of investment (i.e. pushing CDN equipment out to those POIs).

Where and who hosts the equipment is a very different matter. There is a pretty big gap between building a datacentre designed for extremely dense/power hungry content/storage infrastructure and building a site designed to interconnect networks together (and accommodate the modest equipment needs associated with that). POIs are designed for the latter - they are designed for interconnection.

If the local content distribution market becomes vast (as you predict) then I'm sure there will be a positive business case for some operator to come and build a content-suited data centres near the POI. That's not in our remit.

Tom.