[AusNOG] Pipe Fibre Cut affecting anyone? (Sydney)

Cheyne Jonstone cjonstone at staff.ventraip.com
Wed Dec 12 22:49:28 EST 2012

The PIR that PIPE sent us last week said that is appeared to be a
deliberate attack on their infrastructure, and that the matter was being
reported to the NSW police.

One person that I spoke to, who I won't name, suggested that whoever did it
may have been looking to cut fibre cable that was NBN related as a
political statement since all the NBN advertisements have just begun,
however they don't realise it's not an NBN-related fibre circuit. Pure
speculation of course.

However, now that we're down to cut number 3, you would have to assume it's
a deliberate attack.

Thankfully PIPE fixed us up within a few hours of the original cut and put
us on a protected circuit out at Cromer (that we were meant to be on all
along, but that's another story), so these recent outages have not affected
our network at all.

I hope they find the b at stard and cut his 'cable' in retaliation. ;)

Cheers,

Cheyne Jonstone
Chief Executive Officer

VentraIP Group (Australia) Pty Ltd