[AusNOG] Reliable (IPv6-supporting) ADSL2+ CPE

Tom Berryman tom at connectivityit.com.au
Mon Dec 10 19:53:37 EST 2012

Hi Julien,
We support (unfortunately!) a few hundred CPE routers over ADSL (1, 2 and Annex-M) with a variety of carriers. I know that Cisco don't necessarily use the best ADSL modems for their HWICs however every time we stray from a Cisco CPE headaches result. For us, its not just the quality of the ADSL card, but the feature diversity we obviously get from a Cisco device, the universal carrier support and the diagnostic output available for my technicians.
We operate a mix of 887(with and without W option) and legacy 877, 1841, 1921 (huge improvement for noise levels over 1800 series), and 2811 CPE devices- we have a 2811 CPE with over 2 years uptime and ADSL sync for 6 weeks with no deviation on speed, impressive but not isolated. Today the 1921-ADSL would be our most popular and widely used CPE, to date we have had a zero failure rate on them too. Not too expensive and available with all DSL varieties, also leaves your customers the option to move to say metro-ethernet or fibre and keep their router.
Tom.