[AusNOG] ABW from a technical team perspective?

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Tue Dec 4 17:10:18 EST 2012

On 04/12/2012, at 4:54 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> IM w/group chat (or IRC), VoIP, et. al. work well for this, as well, I find.  I have all these things available on my phone as well as my laptop and tablet, so I can pretty much do my entire job from anywhere, as long as there's some form of data connectivity.

The most useful discussions I have in the office are started by overhearing something someone says over the partition. Its rude, but its incredibly useful.

We tried to replicate this with cameras and full time video conferences from the desktop, but people found it too intrusive - they didn't want other people to know when they were taking breaks, etc (even though if they were physically in the same office people would see these, I think it was a mentality thing).