[AusNOG] ABW from a technical team perspective?

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 4 16:47:01 EST 2012

Absolutely agree; we've got that set up - I'm no more equipped in my office
than at home, or sitting in a cafe somewhere.

But, I'm a lot less useful in those places due to my lack of physical
proximity to the people with whom I need to converse frequently, or that I
get benefit from overhearing.  I may have the same tool-set at home but I
definitely get less done when I'm not directly next to the rest of my team.

That said, I get vastly more done when I don't have to deal with people who
aren't in my team.  I'm sure we've all experienced being super-productive
between 5pm and 7pm after everyone leaves and stops interrupting you.

I don't know about ABW, but if I were trying to optimise for our industry,
I'd get all the people who'd normally converse by email & phone in the same
room, and do my best to keep everyone else away from them so
inter-department work can be scheduled instead of a SIGINT.

--
Christopher Pollock,
io Networks Pty Ltd.
e. chris at ionetworks.com.au