[AusNOG] [SPAM] Re: Is CCTV a Necessity in a Data Centre?

bobp bobp at purdon.id.au
Mon Dec 3 15:28:11 EST 2012

> Point 2 of the OP indicates he was after what
> areas/reasons there were such that CCTV is/was a necessity, and/or
> places
> where it isn't. Seems doing a case study with only the former and no
> input re the later isn't going to be a very complete case study
> (probably
> like the ones the PCI DSS guys do).

My personal opinion is that CCTV is a must in a datacentre - without it
you only have half the picture.

The access control tells you that the electrician entered the switch
room.  Some power dropped, and a breaker was found turned off on the
switchboard.  You know the electrician (or at least his access card) was
in there, but he denies being anywhere near that board.  The CCTV is
what tells you he had his hands on that switchboard, when the guy
himself says otherwise.

The CCTV is what helps the court case when someone tries to break into
your datacentre.

The CCTV is what helps you more quickly find that source of smoke that
nearly caused you to dump your suppression gas.