[AusNOG] Syria cut's itself off!

Craig Small csmall-ausnog at enc.com.au
Sun Dec 2 09:36:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 05:14:09PM +1100, Aqius wrote:
>    Surely there must be more we can do in this day and age? What would it
>    take for independent carriers to provide a little `emergency' bandwidth in
>    such a situation even if it's GPRS it'd make all the difference.
You'd probably be amazed at how many countries all their internet goes
through a single organisation, usually the government owned carrier.
There might be a few local isps but it all rolls back to the one group
that could, if it wanted to, throw the switch.

In some places even the small-bandwidth satellite stuff is regulated
and restricted to some international organisations.

 - Craig