[AusNOG] Server BW limits

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Mon Aug 27 14:43:54 EST 2012

  DC's offer much more than just the advantage of having many providers
interconnecting, and providing cheap bandwidth (cheaper then at home).
They have the redundancy for both  bandwidth and power, they have the
cooling systems, they have the security etc.

  I won't have any problems hosting some of my servers at home when I
eventually get the NBN (hoping by end of 2013!), but they will be things
that if they were off for a day or 2 I wouldn't really care. Perfect
example is some time in the near future 'Essential Energy' is cutting my
power off completely for half a work day to do some work in the area. My
house certainly doesn't have a 6-7 hour battery array, or a genset!

Anyways, I'm pointing out things that 99% of this list would already know!