[AusNOG] Server BW limits

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sun Aug 26 09:37:36 EST 2012

So since the latest wisdom seems to be that we should give up hosting
servers in NZ and instead put machines in Syd/Mel I thought I'd look at
the Australian dedicated/virtual hosting costs.

What I've been buying in Europe/US is dedicated servers from 2nd tier
vendors with 4G of RAM and minimal other specs. The big thing I'm after is
bandwidth and I find I can get $100/month for 5TB on 100Mb/s or $200/month
for 10TB on 1Gb/s . Those are good deals, the mid-market is $50-$100/month
higher.

Looking around about a dozen Australian providers nobody seems to be
offering over 1TB/month until I get over $500/month.

Note: My traffic would 99% to Aus and NZ.

So my big question is:

Are Australian bandwidth costs still so high that I'm not going to get
anything remotely like EU/US pricing any time soon?

Note to sales guys: I'm not going to be buying in the next month or two so
please don't mail me the hard sell, if you have good prices online that
I've missed then tell me. For this sort of purchase I work on the principle
of going with vendors who list their prices online and do things
automatically to keep costs low rather than building in salesman's margins.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.