[AusNOG] Cisco 7201 CPU hog

Nathan Brookfield nathan.brookfield at serversaustralia.com.au
Fri Aug 10 11:58:38 EST 2012

Do your physical interfaces have 'no ip route-cache'?

Nathan Brookfield
Chief Executive Officer

Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
http://www.simtronic.com.au

On 10/08/2012, at 9:57, James Mcintosh <james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com> wrote:

Hi Noggers,

We run a Cisco 7201 on our edge. It currently does BGP (default route only) and pumps around 200Mbps connecting our IP transit to a few Ethernet VLANs that it's terminating. It has some ACL's but nothing over the top.

It's currently running at over 70% CPU when doing 200Mbps. This seems awfully high to me for such a low level of throughput.

"sh processes cpu" gives me absolutely no clue as it lists every conceivable process but they are all less than 1% of CPU and definitely don't add up to anything near a total of 70%.

Can anyone else here running 7201 give me some ideas or am I expecting too much from my 7201?

-James