[AusNOG] Fiber connectivity

Darren Ward (darrward) darrward at cisco.com
Fri Apr 20 11:34:01 EST 2012

Agree with Kevin

Also when talking about Cisco SFP's this is a good link to bookmark for
future:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product
_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

has some estimations of distance but these are conservative as you'd
expect - actual distance achieved depends upon fibre loss and other
linear/non-linear effects that I won't bore everyone with that are
generally worse on MMF

Now OM1 at 1300nm has a loss of 1.5dB per km so that won't be the
problem as long as the mode conditioning cables are used but as we're
all saying the loss of the 'hops' is the main loss based issue (once you
have mode conditioners)

The SFP in question being a GLC-LH-SM has a tx power of as low as
-9.5dBm and a lowest acceptable receive level at -20dBm, which means we
have as little as 10.5dB to play with one reflection or splice can be as
high as .5dB if done poorly but still 0.1dB if done well so it all adds
up

Recommend getting a power meter onto the fibre and see what loss there
is at 1300nm (1310nm)

Darren