[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Tue Apr 17 15:34:31 EST 2012

On 17Apr12, Damien Gardner Jnr allegedly wrote:
> On 16/04/2012 2:59 PM, Rod Veith wrote:
> >Universal Enum - yes please I'll have one, though on second thoughts why
> >limit it to 1 - make it 3, of those.
> >
> >Though as likely to happen as the Australia card
> You mean the Medicare Card? ;)

Yeah, it's too bad that the lack of a public Enum may well kill the
golden goose of universality that until recently, could have been the
preserve of phone numbers.

The private enums run by iMessage and WhatsApp are reducing interop of
course. And when most Australian homes have IP it wouldn't surprise me
if someone like iiNet** market an NBN Bob that does P2P calls to all
other Bobs - naturally using their private enum for discovery.

I wish the enum trialists had worried more about the consequences of
doing nothing. As it stands, in the next few years every Australian
will have a known end-point address connected via a high speed NBN
connection and all we'll know for sure is that it can accept a low-def
PSTN voice call.

Mark.

** Just an example as they already have a device in the market, no
   slight on iiNet intended.