[AusNOG] ISP pricing in the NBN world

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Mon Apr 16 21:27:00 EST 2012

"Can you *seriously* see a place for voice carriers in 2062, after we've
brought up several generations of people who have *ONLY* known peer-to-peer
communication systems, and for whom hub-and-scope application architectures
are quaint inefficient historical foreign concepts?"

Yes. But they won't be the Telcos as we know them today.

Very simple business rules apply and the type of technology is almost
irrelevant. The technical architectures are irrelevant to people. What
matters is that a business needs to spend money to provide these services.
When a business spends money, it will charge someone to get the money back
plus profit. Good luck building infrastructure at nil cost, or trying to
convince someone else to build it for you and not charge you for the
pleasure.

As for Skype, do you really expect free Skype to Skype calls to stay around
for ever? They are slowly increasing the range of services they offer and
introducing charging for services. Remember when listing on Ebay was free?
Remember when bank accounts were fee free? Free news on the net - for how
much longer? Google search is free - but only because businesses pay for
advertising. Everything we do in a modern society has a cost. The only thing
that changes from country to country is whether you pay directly or in
taxes.

Apple services free?? Umm, isn't that built into cross-subsidies and high
unit prices?

There are business around with deep pockets willing to spend marketing
dollars by subsidising entry costs. Once the number of customers reaches
their 'magic number', fees start to be charged. It is simply just another
standard business model, one that happens to suit a disruptive technology
like the internet.

Rod