[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Mon Apr 16 15:20:29 EST 2012

Re: Universal ENUM.

It doesn't really matter if it is a number or name. The concept of one
identifier is what is important. Plus type of contact requested. Do u want
to talk to the person in real-time, send them a text message, a voice
message, an email, content (photo, document etc), or text chat.

The issue has been the different underlying technologies. Remember the
EBCDIC and ASCII issues in the early days. Messaging (telephony, texting,
email etc) is like EBCDIC and ASCII in the 1970s. Once the world goes fully
IP or has decent, flexible and cost- effective IP gateways, the ENUM will
come, even if it is by stealth rather than planned. Maybe like the way the
internet has just grown.

I expect the days of the typical cordless handset are numbered!

Rod