[AusNOG] M2 buy Primus

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Mon Apr 16 14:01:53 EST 2012

> >> Also interesting
> >> today: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-16/vodafone-to-offer-fixed-line-services/3952846
> >>
> >> Vodafone going to do fixed line in AU.  Suspect times will never be uninteresting in
> >> Australian telecommunications.
> >
> > Been wondering when they would get around to doing this - since Vodafone NZ bought
> > ihug (from iiNet) in late 2006, and several other countries globally where Voda does
> > fixed-line as well as mobile for almost a decade.

As a term, "fixed-line" seems as quaint as rotary dial; but maybe
that's merely press-friendly lingo.

In any event, will there be much money in "fixed-line" in years to
come? If the NBN continues to roll, won't must in-country calls
devolve to P2P SIP?

> I suspect NBN as a level playing field makes this a good time to enter the market.

I suspect "fixed-line" is a gateway drug for other services and market
presence.

Mark.